Wednesday 12 December 2012

My First Blog

Well I’ve finally got round to the blogging business.

I hope you’ll read it from time to time as I hope to make it a mixture of theological reflection, personal anecdote and general musing about life. Even if no-one reads it, Ill probably just enjoy having a meander round life’s great mysteries.

I just became a grandfather last week. That feels strange because the image of a grandfather (which many have been quick to reinforce) is of slippers, zimmer frames, bus passes, mugs of Horlicks and early nights! But ignoring my sensitivities, my son and daughter-in-law produced baby Micah (8lbs 4 ozs) last week in Shanghai Family Hospital, China. Its just not possible for them to become parents without me becoming a grandparent – the one follows the other.

But wow – what a thought. Im more emotional than I thought and cant wait to see him. It seems only a short time ago that I held Micah’s father in my arms and cooed and smiled with the best of them.

The ensuing 27 years have passed quickly. Ive learnt a few things along the way, made lots of mistakes and had some victories but when Micah was born I was led to reflect again on those famous words of Moses in Psalm 90 “Teach us to number our days aright, that we may apply our hearts to wisdom” Life is short – I’m trying to make it count.

Hope you are too. In the meantime, I’m away to apply for my bus pass and make myself a mug of Horlicks!!

17 November 2012

No comments:

Post a Comment